Bloc Party Interview
By: Giovannah Chiu
English indie rock band Bloc Party recently released their second album entitled "Weekend In The City." They were in Boston on 3/28/07 and played a nearly sold out show at Orpheum Theatre. I got a chance to hop over and interview Kele, vocalist and guitarist for the band. I was bit nervous to interview the band due to their public opinion on media sensationalism in the representation of Bloc Party. Kele was really welcoming and though his answers were succinct he was the most matter of fact person I have interviewed. His over all demeanor gives insight into the foundation that the Bloc Party band has built its self on, a fundamental love for music and professionalism in manifesting it.
1. Has the band ever closed down a block to have an actual bloc party?
"No it's never happened."
Would you like to?
"Sure. It would be fun"
2. Tell me about the band dynamic. How do you guys work together? When do you feel the most inspired?
"We work well together. I am inspired all the time. I am always thinking about music, when we are on the road or whatever I am just feeling inspired."
3. Would you say it was fate when you Kele reconnected Russel to form Union? Do you even believe in fate?
"Yeah I do believe in fate. I always known that I would make music but I didn't know anyone to work with. Then I meet Russel and it was like the perfect meting. We connected musically and that's how it started."
4. Where do you draw you secret musical inspiration from?
"R&B club hits. They have a very sophisticated production."
5. How about fashion inspiration? Favorite designers, favorite style?
"Well I mean I am into fashion and all, but I am not a slave to it. We live in East London and its hard not to absorb some but it's not really something that I think about when I am dressing."
6. Is there a difference in the way you are received by European audiences versus American audiences?
" There is a difference from state to state and venue to venue. We get very rapid reactions in France, Germany, Montreal and New York."
7. With you new album. "Weekend In The City" you reached slot#12 on the Billboard 200! That's huge congratulations. How did you celebrate?
"Umm I don't even know. I think we were doing a promo or something. I think I went with friends to have a drink that's all"
8. With all the cross genre music nowadays, would you say there is a certain evolution in the music you put out?
"Yes I do see our music evolving. We have taken our blueprint from Silent Alarm and moving into more of an electro sound like Banquet."
9. When you guys are in Miami last year at Pawn Shop my friend told me it was the best concert she had ever been to. What has been a favorite venue for you and why?
" I would have to say La Cigale, in Paris. Its a beautifully ornate theater, very Moulan Rouge looking. When we got on the stage the crowd went bonkers!"
10. If I were to walk into your house and check out your CD Player what will I find?
"Nelly Furtado, Broken Social Scene, Death Cab, Forgetting In People"
11. Bloc Party Merchandise do you guys have creative say on the kinds of design associated with the clothing?
"Our bass player is also our designer. So he handles the designs of the shirts and visuals."
12. If you could work with any band who would it be?
13. You all have a very buy year of touring ahead of you. What do you do to keep sane yet energetic?
"Life always inspires me so I just write to relax and then I usually put it into songs."
14. Favorite animal?
"Cows are my favorite animal."
15. Are you a vegetarian?
No, I just like cows in their genial nature, they have pretty lips and long eye lashes."
16. What is the first song you all learned to play?
"Stutter by Elastica, because it was just four cords."
Check Bloc Party's Tour Dates:
1 Myrtle Beach, SC @ House of Blues tickets
2 Winston Salem, NC @ Millenium tickets
3 Washington, DC @ DAR Constitution Hall tickets
5 Philadelphia, PA @ Tower Theatre tickets
7 Asbury Park, NJ @ Convention Hall tickets
11 Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theatre tickets
12 Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre tickets
13 Las Vegas, NV @ The Pearl tickets
16 San Diego, CA @ Concerts in the Park tickets