Who is Huey? What is Pop Lock Drop It? If you don’t know the answers, then get out of my blog! No….just kidding! I do suggest you take this interview below as a valuable lesson in keeping it real, making them dance and staying fly. Huey was raised in St.Louis and has been making music waves since the ripe age of 15. He has since garnered the admiration and appreciation of local celebrity status. Just recently Huey got signed to Jive Records with his sensational single Pop Lock Drop It. The video has taken YouTube by storm with an almost dirty south beat and hyphe snap dance to go along. This single has elevated Huey as a force to be reckoned with in the scene. In his mixtape, intended to serve as an album teaser, entitled "Notebook Paper" Huey collaborates with Lloyd and Jazze Pha on When I Hustle. Just one of many tracks that will be blowing out speakers at a club near you!
By: Giovannah Chiu For Karmaloop.com
- At a young age things seemed to be popping off for you, especially with the official release of Pop Lock Drop It. How are you handling all the exposure?
“Oh I’m chillin’. It’s a good look you know? My video is even on demand right now things are good.”
- You’ve been doing the music thing for a minute now. How was the street fame you received back in the day when you first linked up with Angela Richardson different from the national fame you have been receiving with your acclaimed single?
“Well some people are still keeping it real, they still the same. Everyone is happy for me. People who would not know about me now do like when I walk into a bar I get a good response.”
- I know you rep Louisvilleto the fullest. Tell me how it was growing up there?
“It’s a hood like any other hood. It was rough both my mom and dad where into drugs. It was Ghetto you know? Thank the Lord, my mom has been off drugs for 13 years now and we got the best relationship now.”
- Your jams are undeniably noteworthy. I read that you were at first skeptical to sign with Jive Records. What was that all about?
“When I first put the song out I had a lot of record labels come at me and thinsg would fall through so I wasn’t going to get my hopes up. It didn’t really hit until the music video was made.”
- The Unsigned Hype…This mixtape made some serious waves on the streets. Have you ever considered re-releasing Unsigned Hype?
“No actually. We put out another mixtape right now called Notebook Paper. It’s kind like the pre-album before the album. Its in stores now.”
- Are some of the lyrics in Notebookpaper really from your personal notebook? Can I have it hahah?
“Well basically it is based on the game of life. All the thoughts and things you go through to make that paper.”
“Paper” like money?
- Tell me how it was working with mega producer Jazze Pha? If you had the chance to work with any producer in the world or collaborate with any musician who would that be?
“It was real cool mane. Jazze is so down to earth. We had fun in the studio but also worked real hard. If I could work with anyone right now it would Eminem.”
- So your into Adidas….what else is your style?
“My style is preppy not too preppy though not too hood, just fly."
- How about the ladies? What do you like your girls to wear?
“Little skirts, little dresses, pumps and pretty faces.”
No buttfaces huh?
“Nah Nah no buttfaces!”
- You mention staying gutter is a focus of your music and lifestyle. If you to choose one factor that makes your music real…what would it be?
“Everything I am talking about (in my lyrics) I have been through, seen or done. The whole album is real like that. People sometimes just make songs to put something out. For insistence, if you were to sing about something you’ve been doing back in your city and then you run into someone in that city and they know you haven’t been up to what you say then your EXPOSED! So that’s why I keep it real.”
- So this questions is kind of one those proverbial types. What came first the dance or the song?
“We just made the song and asked people to dance to it and that’s what they started doing. It just goes with the beat.”
- If I were raid your car’s CD’s charger what CD’s will I find?
“Jim Jones, TI (he is my idol), Lil Weezy!”